Mardi Himal Trek is an unseen gem and a rarely explored trekking destination in Nepal. This trek can be the best route to trek because of the least crowd during the favorable seasons, unlike the other trails. And if you want to beat the crowds, there are some excellent under-the-radar treks up the Khopra and Mardi Himal ridges to have an up-close view of the mountains and the green luscious forest at Forest Camp. Rarely is mountain trekking this easy and this spectacular.
Mardi Himal Trek is not much challenging and has good trails. Few of the times, the sections are quite steep but at the other times, the ridges are grassy and easy to walk. The maximum altitude for the trek is 4500m at the viewpoint or the Mardi Himal Base Camp. The panoramic view of the mountains Annapurna South and Machhapuchhre (Fishtail) will make you feel heavenly and rejuvenate the tired body. This trek will also impress you with the flora, fauna, wildlife, the green rich forests of Oak and Maple and the gorgeous national flower Rhododendron along the trails. Mardi Himal trek is simply the best trek not only for the views of the mountains but also to discover the traditional village life and a true countryside of Nepal.
You could be already in Kathmandu or you may be arriving on this very day, anyway, we welcome you to Nepal! On this first day we transfer you to your hotel and brief you about the trek if the time permits. You will not do much except observing the ambiance around you and get acquainted with the country.
An early morning drive on a tourist bus takes you to Pokhara, the city of lakes. Pokhara is at a distance of 200 km from Kathmandu. It takes almost 6-7 hours to reach to this beautiful city. The drive will give you an opportunity to have a look at the beauty of flora, fauna, the diverse demography, beautiful mountain ranges, the raging Trishuli, Marshyangdi Rivers and plenty of rivulets along the way. As soon as you reach Pokhara, you will be transferred to a hotel.
After breakfast we head out for Kande on a jeep. The drive to Kande where our trek begins is of 1 hour. As we reach there, we begin our trek on the beautiful trail and walk upwards to the Australian Base Camp for about 3 hours. Australian Camp is a beautiful village best known, where on a clear day you can see an unobstructed view of the Himalayan Mountains of Annapurna range, Machhapuchhre, Manaslu range and also beautiful green hills.
After breakfast in the morning, we head out to reach Forest Camp which will take almost 6 to 7 hours of walk. The trail is slightly downhill from Base Camp to Pothana (1950 m) and again ascends to Deurali (2100 m). At Deurali there is a signboard pointing towards right saying “Forest Camp”. This will be the path we follow to reach the destination. The trail enters a quiet jungle of oak trees, maples, rhododendrons etc. After walking for few more hours, we reach Forest Camp.
After walking a steep climb for about few hours, we are out of the forest and onto a grassy ridge. The ridge is sometimes full of snow. The mountains seem to grow closer to you as you walk towards the Low Camp. After walking for around 6 to 7 hours you reach Low Camp at the afternoon. Enjoying a good sip of tea, you can acclimatize and capture the best views of the up close Annapurna South and Mt. Machhapuchhre.
We wake up early this day for the beautiful view of sunrise through the mountains. After early breakfast, we head on to the trekking trails. We walk on the grassy ridges which during winters are filled with snow. The trail ascends throughout the walk up to the High Camp. We walk above the tree line and the temperature reduces along the path. After walking for almost 4 to 5 hours, we finally reach High Camp.
Today we wake up early and walk for few hours to reach the Mardi Himal Base Camp. The view of the Annapurna Sanctuary can be clearly seen. The panoramic scenes of South face of Mt. Annpaurna and Mt. Machhapuchhre (Fishtail) will be worth every steps taken to the Base Camp. After spending few hours here, we return back to the High Camp for lunch. After having lunch and resting for some time at High camp, we walk down to Low Camp from where it is about an hour or two’s walk to Badaldanda. We will be staying at the teahouse at Badaldanda today.
After breakfast we start walking towards Forest Camp from where we will be taking a side trail down to the beautiful village of Landruk. The elevation changes drastically while walking down to Landruk. Landruk is a Gurung village with traditional houses that witnesses the immensely beautiful view of snow peak Annapurna South. After walking for around 6 to hours we reach the village.
Today is the last day of trekking. We start our day with a descent down the trail to Syauli Bazar. The hike will be quite tough with many steep steps down. On arrival at Syauli Bazar we drive to Pokhara in a public vehicle. Upon reaching Pokhara, we celebrate the successful trek to the Mardi Himal.
We head out for Kathmandu in a tourist bus. Enjoying the last glimpse of the beautiful Himalayas, we return back to Kathmandu. The journey will be of 7 total hours. Upon arrival at Kathmandu, our representative will meet and transfer you back to the hotel.
In the evening we will have a farewell dinner in a traditional Nepalese restaurant with cultural performances.
The trip ends, our Airport Representative will drop you to the Kathmandu International Airport for your final flight departure from Nepal.
Two clients share one porter. We will supply you a trek duffel bag where you keep your heavy items and this bag is carried by the porter. You will need to bring your own daypack to be carried by you. In the daypack, you can put money, important documents, water bottle/bladder, camera, toiletries, sunscreen, notebook, etc.
The weight limit for the porter is 30 kg or 66 pounds. 15 kg or 33 pounds for each client. So, we recommend you to pack as carefully as you can and not exceed the weight limit. You can leave your non-trekking stuff at the locker facility in the Kathmandu hotel.
- Sleeping bag (We can provide one if you need it but has to be returned after the trek)
- Duffel bag
- Down jacket (For winter)
Upper Body - Head / Ears / Eyes
- Sun hat
- Wool or synthetic hat that cover the ears (For winter)
- Normal sunglasses
- Neck warmer (For winter)
- Liner gloves
- Heavier shell gloves (For winter)
- Thermal tops (For winter)
- Fleece jacket or pullover
- Water/windproof shell jacket (Preferably breathable fabric)
Lower Body – Legs
- Thermal bottoms (For winter)
- Trekking pants and shorts
- Water/windproof trousers
- Casual pants
- Good Gore Tex pants
- Liner socks
- Heavyweight socks (For winter)
- Waterproof hiking/trekking shoes
- Light shoes/sneakers/sandals
Medicines and First Aid Kit
(Please note our guide will carry the first-aid kit bag during the trek. However we still recommend you to bring your personalized first-aid kit as well.)
- Extra Strength Excedrin for altitude related headaches
- Ibuprofen for general aches and pains
- Immodium or Pepto bismol capsules for upset stomach or diarrhea
- Anti-infection ointments
- Lip balm (SPF 20)
- Sunscreen (SPF 40)
- Passport and extra passport photos (3 copies)
- Airline tickets (Please make a copy and leave one at our office in Kathmandu just in case if you need to change the date of yours)
- Durable wallet/pouch for travel documents, money & passport
- Water bottle/bladder
- Water purification Iodine tablets
- Toiletry kit (Be sure to include toilet paper stored in a plastic bag, hand wipes, and liquid hand sanitizer, towel, soap, etc.)
- Adjustable trekking poles
- Favorite snack foods (No more than 2 pounds)
- Paperback books, cards, mp3 player
- Cameras (Memory cards, chargers and also batteries)
- Pee bottle for men and pee funnel for women
- Twin or double sharing accommodation in a hotel in Kathmandu and Pokhara; Breakfast included (If you need a single room, it can be arranged at an additional cost)
- Surface transfer to and from Pokhara in a tourist bus (if opt for flight, it can be arranged, however, extra charge is applicable).
- Surface transfer from Syauli Bazar to Pokhara in a tourist vehicle.
- Licensed English speaking trekking guide.
- All standard meals during the trek (Breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Guesthouse accommodation during the trek.
- The local staff and porters to carry your luggage and equipment during the trek.
- Annapurna National Park permits and TIMS permit for trekking.
- Farewell dinner in typical Nepali Restaurant with cultural dance show.
- All our government taxes, vat, tourist service charges.
- All official expenses.
- Travel insurance which covers emergency high-altitude rescue and evacuation.
- Round trip air ticket from/to Kathmandu.
- Nepal entry visa; you can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu. (Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 30 days can be obtained by paying US $40 or equivalent foreign currency. Similarly, Tourist Visa with Multiple Entries for 90 days can be obtained by paying US $100. Please bring 2 copies of passport size photos).
- Alcoholic and cold drinks.
- Personal trekking and climbing Equipment.
- Tips for trekking guide, porter.
- 1 - 12
- 4500 m
- city hotel, lodge, teahouse
- hotel included breakfast, 3 meals a day during trekking
- february, march, april, may, june, september, october, november, december
HELP US GROW
CUSTOMIZE THIS TRIP
Can't find what you want? You can always customize the trip according to your preference and budget here.