Kanchenjunga, which stands at a height of 8,585 m and the third highest mountain in the world, is the abode of gods who bestow prosperity and goodwill on them and their lands, while to the climbers of this mountain the phrase “five great treasuries of the snow” takes on a slightly more ominous tone. The journey in this region is very special due to the tropical lowlands to the great rhododendron forests, lovely villages and glaciers. During this Kanchenjunga trek, you will see wildlife such as snow leopard, Himalayan black bear, musk deer and red panda.
South - North Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek bring lots of fun, adventure in your life as the region is very pristine in Natural beauty. We trek to both base camp of the world’s third highest peak of Mount Kanchenjunga. Trekkers can experience the spectacular and panoramic view of Himalayas such as Everest, Lhotse, Makalu and Kanchenjunga. Moreover, trekkers can also see the some animals such as Musk deer, blue sheep, Himalayan Thar and many others.
South - North Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek starts from Suketar, Taplejung which can be accessible by air. We can also start our trek from Basantapur, Kanchenjunga which passes through the rhododendron forest into high alpine terrain beyond the Gunsa village followed by Lapsung La Pass, Selele Pass, Yalung Glacier and ultimately to the Kanchenjunga Base Camp.
Upon you arrival at Kathmandu Airport, you have to fulfill all the formalities then collect all baggage. You will see our airport represent from Osho Adventure at arrival gate and showing your name in paper. Then you will be transfer to hotel. In the evening our tour operator will explain about the program for tomorrow. Overnight at hotel.
After breakfast, we will have sightseeing tour around the Kathmandu valley includes- Kathmandu Durbar Square, Swayambhunath Temple, Boudhanath Stupa and Pasupatinath Temple. In the evening you can buy necessary equipment for trekking and explore around the Thamel.
Pick up from the hotel in Kathmandu and take a bus to Biratnagar with your trekking guide. Today is a long haul ride which will take 2 days to arrive.
Continue to drive to Basantpur today. Overnight at Dhankuta.
Early in the morning after breakfast, we start our trekking by walking through the ups and down hills and route is covered by the rhododendron forest. If the weather is clear then you can enjoy the beautiful panoramic views of Mount Makalu and Kanchenjunga Himal. Then finally we reach at Chauki, it is the small village where we can find few lodges and Nepali tea house. Stay overnight at Chauki.
Today our trekking route passes through the rhododendron forest. After few hours walk we cross the pass and reach at the height of 3000 meters. In this point there lays the pond generally name as Gupha Pokhari, this pond is surrounding by the prayer flags and Buddhist Mani wall. From here we walk few hours to reach at Gurja Gaon. Gurja Gaon is occupied by Buddhist and Hindus. It is situated at low elevation. Stay overnight at Gurja Gaon.
Early in the morning after breakfast, we start our trek by moving down to the Dovan. Before reaching to the Dovan the trekking trail leads through the jungle, terraces fields of wheat, maize, rice, millet, potatoes and many more. Trekking for few hours takes us to the village of Dovan. Stay overnight at Dovan.
Today our trekking trail passes by crossing the suspension bridge over Tamur River. Then crossing the bridge we trek by flat route along the bank of the Tamur Koshi and through the Paddy fields. Then having few minutes rest, we continue our trek to Mitlung by trekking through the small jungle of cardamom plant and other natural vegetation. Then after a 6 hours trek we finally reach at Mitlung. This village has got the inhabited by the by Brahmin, Chhetri and Limbu.
After breakfast, we begin our trek to Chirwa. The trekking trail passes through the narrow path and passing by the cardamom plant and other vegetation forest. From here the trail moves ups and down and can see the small gardens of orange on the way to the Chirwa. Then continues walk from here by following the flat land we finally reach at the Chirwa. Stay overnight at here.
We start walking by the route along the bank of the river with the views of cardamom plant and other natural vegetation. Today also the trail moves ups and down and crossing the hanging bridge we reach at the Sekathum. stay overnight at here.
Today we will have easy walk for 2 hours through the flat land. After one and half hour the trekking route climb steeply up to the Amjilosa, is a small village where we can find few house and yak herds and local shops.
Today we have 7 hours walk to reach at the Gyabal. We trek down hills by the quiet and flat way and passing through the jungle. We finally reach at the Gyabal. Gyabal is the village of Buddhist follower. Stay overnight at Gyabal.
Early in the morning after breakfast, we start our trek by passing through the jungle, few human settlement and fields. On the way to the Ghunsa you can see local traders who are involved in export-import business in Tibet. Then enjoying with the nature we reach at the Ghunsa. Stay overnight at Ghunsa.
Today we have rest and free day in Ghunsa. Ghunsa is also the village which is rich in the Buddhist culture with Tibetan. Mainly Ghunsa is the home for the Tibetan people. The women are involved in the local carpet weaving. In this village the trekkers can buy the local goods which are made by the hand and are very attractive.
Today we have to trek by following the south bank of the Gunsa Khola. Then from here we climb slowly through the beautiful pine and rhododendron forests and on the way we have to pass by many Mani walls and Chortens. Then few minute walk we stop for our lunch and rest at river Rampak Kharka. After having lunch we continues walk by steep climb and again descending to the Kambachen. Stay overnight at Kambachen.
Today we slowly climb up by enjoying the amazing views of valley and snowcapped mountain. Then few hours walk we stop at Ramtang for the lunch and rest for few minutes. From here we continue walk towards the north-west of the Kanchenjunga Glacier. Then moving slowly towards Lhonak at the altitude of 4790m, and situated near a dry lake bed on an open, sandy plain; then we have a camp and stay overnight at here.
After breakfast, we have a short walk today. The route from Lhonak leads down to the plain and moves through the steeper as it follows the moraine with wonderful views and reaches at the Pangpema. Stay overnight at Pangpema.
Today we have 6 hour trek with pleasant environment. We start our trek to Kanchenjunga North Base Camp. There are gorges of mountain glacier from water flows all the time. During the middle of the day, the scene of falling landslide fascinates you completely and enjoys a lot. Then after exploring around the Kanchenjunga North Base Camp we return back to Lhonak. Stay overnight at here.
Today our trekking routes descend by crossing the jungle along the river Kambachen River. Walking through the path we can see many prayer flags hanging over the tree and again crossing the wooden bridge we finally reach at the Ghunsa. Stay overnight at here.
We have to climb up and trail passes through the jungle and we can see Mani walls and Prayer flags hanging over the tree. Then having few minutes rest we continue trek to the Mirgin La and the trail offers views of different snowcapped mountains with mountain goats and yak grazing hills. then reaching at Mirgin La we spend our night.
Today we have little difficult trekking trail which pass through the desert like area and crossing the stony trail we reach at Mirgin La. Then from Mirgin La the trail ascent to Tseram and seeing the views of Lapsang La glacier,Mirgin La glacier and snow-capped mountains. We finally reach at Tseram and stay overnight.
The trekking trail leads through the desert like area and on the way to Oktang we can see Yalung glacier and Lapsang glacier. Then continues walk for long hours with the views of mountain we finally reach at the Oktang. The trekking is full adventure which makes the journey memorable. Stay overnight.
To reach at Kanchanjunga South Base Camp we need to walk for 6 hours by passing through the moraines and strenuous rocky path. Today the trekking trail is quite adventure and we have to walk along the glacier. Then continues walk for a few hours by crossing the Oktang glacier we reach at the Base camp and explore around it. From the base camp we can see many snow capped mountain.
Then from base camp we start our trek early in the morning by following stream alongside the moraines of Yalung Glacier. Before reaching the Tseram the route pass through the Juniper jungle, difficult route of Lapsang La pass at a distance. Finally we reach at few stone roof houses at Tseram and yak huts. Stay overnight.
Early in the morning after breakfast, we start our trek to Yamphudin which takes 9 hours. The trekking trail passes through the jungle with beautiful landscape. Walking for few hours we reach at the Lamite Bhanjyang and take rest. Then from here we continue our trek by moving down to the Yamphudin crossing the small river. Yamphudin is a mixed community of Sherpas, Limbus, Rais and Gurungs. Stay overnight.
The trail moves down from the Yamphudin and we have cross the Omje Khola up to halfway on the trip. Then from here the trail climb and leads through the jungle and different types village and again climbing up to Khebang Danda. we have few minutes rest at Khebang Danda then continue walk by following the downward route to reach at Khebang. This village has got the settlement of both Hindu and Buddhism. Stay overnight.
Today we follow the way descending to Jorepul and from here the trail moves up hill by crossing the paddy fields and thatched roof houses. then continues walk takes us to the village of Thorpu, where transportation facility is available and many shops. Stay overnight.
Today first of all we have to climb uphill through the small villages and continues walk until we reach at the Gopetar, where we can find small restaurants, tea shops and other local shops. From here, you pick your bus to reach Phidim to Illam. Stay overnight.
Early in the morning after breakfast we have drive to Kathmandu. The is a long haul ride which will take 2 days, along the way you can see the beautiful scenic views of Nepal.
Continue to drive to Kathmandu. We will drop you off to the hotel and rest for the day. After a long drive we will keep the day relax and light.
Today as per your international flight time, keep your confirmed air ticket, and your passport handy. Our office staff will take you to the airport for your final departure from this amazing country, Nepal
Porter-and-Mule supported trek
We will supply you a trek duffel bag where you keep your heavy items. You will need to bring your own daypack to be carried by you. In the daypack, you can put money, important documents, water bottle/bladder, camera, toiletries, sunscreen, notebook, etc.
The weight limit for Kathmandu-Biratnagar-Kathmandu and Biratnagar-Taplejung-Biratnagar flights is 15 kg or 33 pounds. This is combining both the duffel bag and the daypack. If you exceed this limit, you will have to pay an additional fee. When this happens, sometimes the airline sends your bag in later flights and this can be very problematic for many reasons. So, we recommend you to pack as carefully as you can and not exceed the weight limit. You can leave your non-trekking stuff at the locker facility in the Kathmandu hotel.
- 4-season sleeping bag (We can provide one if you need it but has to be returned after the trek.)
- Duffel bag (We will provide one complimentary Ace the Himalaya duffel bag which is yours to keep.)
- Down jacket (Must have for mornings, nights and evenings, and for altitudes above 4,000 m; We can provide it if you need one but has to be returned after the trek.)
Upper Body - Head / Ears / Eyes
- Sun hat (We will provide you a complimentary Ace the Himalaya hat.)
- Wool or synthetic hat that cover the ears
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- Neck warmer
- Liner gloves
- Heavier shell gloves
- Lightweight expedition thermal tops
- Fleece jacket or pullover
- Water/windproof shell jacket (Preferably breathable fabric)
- Synthetic sports bras (For women)
Lower Body – Legs
- Lightweight expedition thermal bottoms
- Nylon hiking shorts
- Soft shell and hard shell trekking pants
- Water/windproof trousers
- Casual pants
- Liner socks
- Heavyweight socks
- Waterproof hiking/trekking boots
- Light shoes/sneakers/sandals
- Gaiters (For monsoon and winter)
Medicines and First Aid Kits
(Please note our guide will carry the first-aid kit bag during the trek. However we still recommend you to bring your personalized first-aid kit as well.)
- Extra Strength Excedrin for altitude related headaches
- Ibuprofen for general aches and pains
- Immodium or Pepto Bismol capsules for upset stomach or diarrhea
- Diamox (commonly prescribed as Acetazolamide) 125 or 250mg tablets for altitude sickness
- Anti-infection ointments
- Lip balm (At least SPF 20)
- Sunscreen (SPF 40)
Miscellaneous, but Important!
- Passport and extra passport photos (3 copies)
- Airline ticket (Please make a copy and leave one at our office in Kathmandu just in case if you need to change the date of your flight.)
- Durable wallet/pouch for travel documents, money & passport
- Water bottle/bladder
- Water purification Iodine tablets
- Toiletry kit (Be sure to include toilet paper stored in a plastic bag, hand wipes, and liquid hand sanitizer, towel, soap, etc.)
- Adjustable trekking poles
- Favorite snack foods (No more than 2 pounds)
- Paperback books, cards, mp3 player
- Cameras (Memory cards, chargers and also batteries)
- Pee bottle for men and pee funnel for women
Certificate of Completion
You will be issued a certificate of honor upon the completion of South - North Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek.
- Welcome breakfast or lunch or dinner and Farewell dinner.
- Accommodations Twin Sharing Basis in Kathmandu and Pokhara at 2 to 4 Star hotel.
- Tea house lodge where available during trekking otherwise tented camp (twin sharing). Most of the tea houses are basic standard.
- Round trip Land or Air Transportation as per the destination and itinerary. Approx. 7-8 hours drive.
- English Speaking trained Trekking Guide, one extra assistant trek leader for above 8 pax group. 1 porter for 2 person basis (Carry max 25kg per porter) during the trek.
- All official document process charges including Trek Permit, TIMS card & any required permits or Official Documentation for trekking.
- Insurance, Transportation, Wages, Equipments and all meals & Lodges of Porters and Guides during the trek
- Sightseeing in Kathmandu City on 2nd day (Swayambu nath, Buddha nath Stupa, Kumari temple/durbar square & Pasupati nath Temple by tour guide and car/driver (6-7 hrs tour).
- Note: Entrance fees are not included with this package.
- Entrance fees of all sightseeing Monuments/temples/stupas during sightseeing in Kathmandu
- Down Jacket, sleeping bag, Osho World Adventure trekking kit bag/duffel bag, First Aid Kid Box( for Normal Treatment only), T-shirt and Trekking maps.
- Emergency helicopter rescue Evacuation Coordination Service (This is only in case of Emergency condition of guests, however all guests are responsible to pay helicopter Evacuation Charge- US$ 2500 per/Hour if necessary. So all our valued guests are kindly advised to make sure that they have necessary travel Insurance which should cover heli Evacuation expenses in case needed)
- One day free Yoga & Meditation Course or One day volunteering service School.
- Government taxes & Other Applicable Fees
- Nepal Visa fee: Nepal entry visa (US$ 25 or equivalent foreign currency for 15 days, US$ 40 or equivalent foreign currency for 30 days & US$ 100 or equivalent foreign currency for 90 days. you will also require 2 passport size photos.)
- Travel & Health Insurance- Emergency Helicopter Rescue Insurance (Most recommended)
- Lunch & Dinner in Kathmandu and Pokhara – keep $ 5 to 10 for per meal in Tourist Restaurant.
- Any kind of meal including breakfast, lunch and dinner during the trek.
- Extra accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara in case of early return from trekking than schedule itinerary.
- Any Alcoholic Drinks, Cold Drinks, Boiled & Mineral Water, Beverages, deserts Etc in Trek
- Tips for Guide & Porter after complete programmed.
- Hot Shower, Battery Charges( Available in Trek with Extra cost or Free in some lodges)
- Unforeseen Cost such as Flight Cancellation or Delayed, Sick in Trek, and Helicopter rescue in Trek. Cost due to bad weather etc which is out of our control.
- Personal expenses such as the phone calls, laundry service, internet, bar bills, battery recharge, hot shower.
- Extra single room Supplementary charge is applicable if guest does not have partner to share room together or in the case if no one want to Share room together or he/she prefer to have single room.